Thursday 17 January 2008

Country bonanza II: Castanets West Coast tour!!!



I think Raymond Raposa, the Castanets guy, is so cool. It's not just the music, which is the kind of sparse, haunting Americana that needs to go on a roadtrip mixtape for when you're driving through Montana late, late at night by yourself. (I have never done this, but when I have my inevitable midlife crisis, I will totally do it.) It's also his back-story: Raposa tested out of high school super early and toured the United States by Greyhound bus. Hell, once I drove to see the World's Largest Ball of Twine (Made By One Man)! It's a nice 90 minute excursion from Minneapolis. And once I drove to South By Southwest, but I wouldn't really call that an odyssey of American exploration, more an exercise in how much Red Bull and gas station coffee one must consume to stay awake for 17 hours of driving, and a revelation about how scary the Kansas turnpike can be around 3am.


Darwin, MN. The World's Largest Ball of Twine (Made By One Man.) Truly a reason for MN state pride.

Alas, Mr. Castanets is not heading into my part of the world just yet, but for my West Coast friends, here are some tour dates. Here's also the requisite Castanets MySpace page link.


1.18.08- Eugene, OR - Sam Bond’s Garage
1.21.08 - San Francisco, CA - Cafe Du Nord
1.22.08 - Davis, CA - Fort Douglas
1.23.08 - Sacramento, CA - N Street House
1.24.08 - Fresno, CA - Club Fred
1.25.08 - San Luis Obispo, CA - Steynberg Gallery
1.28.08 - Phoenix, AZ - The Trunk Space
1.30.08 - San Diego, CA - The Casbah
1.31.08 - Long Beach, CA - Koo’s Art Center
2.01.08 - Los Angeles, CA - The Echo

No comments: