Monday 1 October 2007

Only 31 days till the best holiday ever

To celebrate the coming of the best holiday ever, here's a tasteful sampler of "spirit" photographs taken by our creepy Victorian ancestors. If you are rich, you can find a lovely collection of such images in NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art exhibition catalog The Perfect Medium: Photography and the Occult. As I am not rich, I do not have this book, although I once spent a good five or so minutes leafing through it at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts' gift shop.



Oh my God!!! What's that behind you???




These two are my favorites. They really convey the fear and anguish of a ghost sneaking up on you when you're just trying to kick back after a taxing day at the gentlemen's club. "I say old chap, you gave me a quite a fright!"



No comments: