Friday 30 October 2009


Two great things that will be evident from this post: 1) I have rediscovered how to keep images from turning into giant close-ups of nothingness that go off the page and are usually like, people's arms or a guitar fret or something, anything, that is not what I chose the picture to convey and 2)Marissa Nadler is touring!

I first heard of Marissa when I was living in London and decided to check her out because the description in Time Out sounded vaguely like it might be cool. Again, this is one of those artists I figured was all hype and wouldn't resonate with me at all, but WOW was I totally wrong b/c now I absolutely love her and am eagerly awaiting November 18 when she comes here on her tour with Alela Diane. See? I am so into it that I MEMORIZED THE DATE. (Yeah, I know that's not exactly impressive. What can I say? I am counting down the hours till I can leave work and start doing Halloweekend activities. My brain is dried up.)

Marissa's latest, Little Hells is a continuation of all the stuff that's fantastic about her: haunting melodies, depressing songs about people who sound like they all lived during the Depression and worked on a carnival or possibly a traveling medicine show. (So yeah, basically now that I think about it, my entire imagination is just a replay of early 90s teen girl slumber party fave Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. Weird.) The fun thing about updating my blog at work is that I can't post music links, though,so you'll just have to google that shit on your own.

10.30.09 - La Jolla, CA - The Loft
11.01.09 - Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room
11.03.09 - Austin, TX - The Cactus Cafe
11.04.09 - Fort Worth, TX - The Fort Worth Modern Museum
11.05.09 - Baton Rouge, LA - Chelseas
11.06.09 - Birmingham, AL - Bottletree
11.07.09 - Atlanta, GA - The Earl
11.09.09 - Carrboro, NC - Arts Center
11.10.09 - Washington DC - DC9
11.11.09 - Philadelphia, PA - World Cafe
11.13.09 - New York, NY - Le Poisson Rouge
11.14.09 - Brooklyn, NY - Union Hall
11.15.09 - Montreal, QC - La Sala Rossa
11.16.09 - Toronto, ON - Legendary Horseshoe Tavern
11.17.09 - Chicago, IL - Schubas
11.18.09 - Minneapolis, MN - 7th Street Entry
11.20.09 - Denver, CO - Hi Dive
11.21.09 - Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court

No comments: