Monday 4 May 2009

Save a carousel! Neutral Milk Hotel approved


So, it was taking me forever to come up with my second post for the week, and I was all set to do something about Nas and Kelis getting divorced, but then I looked at what I wrote and I was like, "WTF? This isn't some indie rock Perez Hilton ish" and after I watched Kelis' video for the fantastic song "Caught Out There" I somehow just got so totally depressed that now I am sitting around feeling all bummed out for no reason and listening to Bat for Lashes to make myself feel better. And then while frantically digging through the internets to find something that's less of a downer, I found this on Pitchfork about how Neutral Milk Hotel is asking people to vote to save the Paragon Carousel in Massachusetts. I like olde tyme stuff, and so do they. And maybe we can't save Nas and Kelis' marriage, but damn it, we can save this awesome-looking carousel.

Here's an excerpt from a letter the band wrote to fans:

Unfortunately, we live in a world where the great whirling contraptions of mechanical music and light are not as profitable to operate as other things, and carousels are worth much more taken apart and sold in pieces to museums, where one must pay to look at them behind glass, rather than having them simply existing in the world that we now all share.

The Paragon Carousel is one of the contenders for a $100,000 grant from American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation as part of the 2009 Partners in Preservation program. The winner will be selected through an online voting system, which is open till May 17. All the stuff up for the award looks totally cool, and anyone can vote, so here's the link to Partners in Preservation.

No comments: