Thursday 12 June 2008

There's no news this week, so let's talk about the Fetus Anniversary Party


That place I occasionally work at when I am not being unemployed, Electric Fetus, is celebrating its 40th anniversary! There are instores all week, and yesterday there was free fancy beer. And tomorrow is the big shebang at First Avenue, where talent scouts from across the nation will be on hand to experience the critically acclaimed Electric Fetus All Stars. You can experience me poorly singing the Rolling Stones' "Under My Thumb"! Think of the joy you will have being an asshole like my other friends when you can laugh derisively at me IN PERSON and then sneer, "I don't know...I just thought it'd be something a little more...goth."

I'm not head over heels over the entire line-up, but needless to say all the bands in the Entry include my coworkers at the Minneapolis store and are therefore awesome, and I like the Hypstrz because a) they're late 70s garage rock and I like late 70s bands and because I am from Minneapolis, I like garage rock (read the Trouser Press review here) and b) because once when I saw them at the Turf Club a drunk older guy told me at length how it was awesome that I was significantly younger than him but into late 70s/early 80s music, which made me feel validated and like I had "cred."

Here are the instores yet to go down. (Atmosphere/Brother Ali were on Tuesday and Haley Bonar was Wednesday):

Thursday, June 12th
Roma di Luna 7 PM
This event is free and open to the public. Roma di Luna’s third studio recording Casting the Bones will be available for the first time in stores at this event. For more information on the band: www.romadiluna.com/ or www.myspace.com/romadiluna

Friday, June 13th
Charlie Parr 3 PM
This event is free and open to the public. For more information on Charlie: www.charlieparr.com or www.myspace.com/charlieparr

Saturday, June 14th
FOR THE KIDS!
The Teddy Bear Band 10 AM
This event is free and open to the public. Free juiceboxes for the kiddies. Free coffee for the adults courtesy of Peace Coffee. Free snacks for anyone who likes snacks courtesy of The Birchwood Café. For more information on TTBB: www.teddybearband.com

Sunday, June 15th
JAZZ!
Donald Washington 2 PM / The James Buckley Trio 4 PM
These events are free and open to the public. Donald Washington will perform a solo saxophone set from 2 to 3 PM. Donald is a longtime customer and friend of The Fetus. Local jazz greats The James Buckley Trio is Bryan Nichols on keys, JT Bates on drums and namesake James Buckley on double-bass. For more information www.myspace.com/jamesbuckley


And here is the show!

First Avenue and Seventh St. Entry
Friday, June 13
Doomtree, Polara, The Hypstrz, Tony Glover & V3, and The New Standards in the Mainroom
A Night in the Box, Jon Rodine, Moon Maan and The Electric Fetus All-Stars in the Entry
$5 advance, $10 at the door, proceeds goin' to charity

No comments: