Monday 1 February 2010

Nick Cave, Shane MacGowan and friends put their powers together for non-evil


It has been awhile ONCE AGAIN since I posted. This is due to a combination of me being super super busy, suddenly realizing that I can't stop watching Big Love and TERRIBLE TERRIBLE writer's block. Which is why I'm back to writing about music and funny animals; I have to write 5 pages of a screenplay for Thursday (See the "super super busy" comment. I'm taking several classes this winter.) and I figured, "hey, I can write some bullshit about this weird new Nick Cave/Shane MacGowan Haiti benefit single and then I'll stop feeling like there's a Berlin Wall between the part of my brain that should be having thoughts and the part that should be putting them into articulate statements." So behold! Here you go! Ugh, what am I talking about. I promise you that nothing good can come of taking the 2 minutes or however long it takes to read this. You will instantly want that 2 minutes of your life back.

Still reading? Your loss. Anyways, Shane MacGowan of the Pogues/living-with-Pete-Doherty-in-the-most-ridiculous-roommate-pairing-ever fame has assembled an all-star cast of people too cool for Simon Cowle's "Everybody Hurts" Haiti benefit single or that destined-to-be-abysmal remake of "We Are the World" to make A WAY BETTER CHARITY SINGLE. (Seriously, "We Are the World" people. Haven't Haitians suffered enough????) The single of choice is a cover of Screaming Jay Hawkins' "I Put a Spell On You," which is obviously a pretty fantastic song. Rumored participants include MacGowan himself, DFCC favorite Nick Cave, Primal Scream's Bobby Gillespie and um, Johnny Depp. Because why not? He was so awesome as Hunter S. Thompson.

No comments: