Tuesday 16 June 2009

I can't help it. I love this Horrors song so much!


Laugh all you want: I love The Horrors. I am not ashamed to let you know this. (Most of you already know this.) Sure, a lot of their press photos make them look like the English goth equivalents of the Hot Topic-spawned musical victims commonly known as "mall punks." But they are awesome--trust me--and not just because I figure anyone who has bat tattoos must pretty well know what's up. (This theory is based on close scientific observation...of myself. I have bat tattoos, or battoos, as I like to call them. AND I know what's up. DO I EVER.)

Alright, now that I've blathered my way through my preface, allow me to suggest you take a listen to the track "Mirror's Image" on the band's MySpace page. My beloved local college radio station (and former place of employment)Radio K has been giving this thing regular rotation and let me tell you it is a stone cold jam. I plan on listening to this track online until my credit card bill cycle starts anew and I can go blow my limited income on records. It is especially vital that you give this song a listen because you have to start liking this band by October, at which point I will be attending the band's show at the Turf Club in lovely St. Paul, MN, and I will probably be attending it by myself. UNLESS YOU COME WITH ME.


Other things: the band's 2nd album, Primary Colours, was recorded by Geoff Barrow of Portishead, whom I have met and creeped out. (I was very young and very effusive.) It's out on XL Recordings.



9/15 Boston, MA Paradise Rock Club
9/16 Philadelphia, PA Johnny Brenda’s
9/17 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom
9/18 Baltimore, MD Sonar- Club Stage
9/19 Washington, DC Black Cat
9/21 Atlanta, GA The Earl
9/22 New Orleans, LA One Eyed Jacks
9/24 Houston, TX Walter’s on Washington
9/25 Dallas, TX Granada Theater
9/26 Austin, TX Emo’s Alternative Lounging (outside)
9/28 Tempe, AZ The Clubhouse Music Venue
9/29 San Diego, CA The Casbah
9/30 Costa Mesa, CA The Detroit Bar
10/1 Los Angeles, CA El Rey Theater
10/2 Pomona, CA The Glass House
10/3 San Francisco, CA The Independent
10/5 Portland, OR Doug Fir Lounge
10/6 Seattle, WA Neumo’s
10/7 Vancouver, BC Venue
10/10 St. Paul, MN Turf Club
10/11 Chicago, IL Double Door
10/12 Detroit, MI Magic Stick
10/14 Toronto, ON Lee’s Place
10/15 Montreal, QC Petit Campus
10/16 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg
10/17 Hoboken, NJ Maxwell’s

No comments: